When studying the Lord's prayer it's common to think about the character of God that's assumed in the prayer: i.e. Father, in heaven, holy, etc, etc.
What about the character of the one praying it?
Here are some thoughts:
- No agenda of our own
- Dependent for all things
- Confident of mercy
- Acknowledging sin
- Having a deep appreciation of grace
- A follower
- Hating sin and temptation
- At war with the evil one
- Sheltering in the Lord's deliverance
1) I want to be this person.
2) Jesus has made me this person (John 16:23-27) The Father regards me as this very person, clothed in my Advocate. I not only pray in and through Jesus but with Him.
3) As I pray, resting in the intercession of Jesus, I am increasingly living up to what I've already attained in Him.